31 Jul How To Create An Award-Winning Netflix Documentary w/ Matt D’Avella
Matt D’Avella is the director of the award-winning Netflix documentary Minimalism. His first feature-length documentary Minimalism was trending on Netflix and broke the top 10 documentaries on iTunes. Matt is also a host of The Ground Up Show.
This show is sponsored by Experiment 27. Get the discovery call script & questions template HERE.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- [01:00] How did Matt create Minimalism
- [02:37] How to generate an initial sales bump in iTunes
- [05:02] About creating a watchable film
- [05:40] What to look for in the first cut
- [08:00] How not to lose your story in the process
- [11:05] How did Matt fund the making of Minimalism
- [12:50] Music is an important part of the film
- [14:25] Mistakes don’t take too much away from viewers
- [17:25] You’re more timid in the early shoots
- [19:06] Release strategy for Minimalism
- [23:07] How did Matt get an intro to Netflix
- [24:30] What are Matt’s plans for the future
- [27:10] Why Matt started focusing on his podcast
- [29:05] How minimalism opens you up to freedom
If you’ve enjoyed the episode, please subscribe to The Alex Berman Podcast on iTunes and leave us a 5-star review.