02 Oct Origin Story of Austin Film Festival w/ Barbara Morgan
Barbara Morgan co-founded the Austin Film Festival in 1994 and has served as the sole Executive Director since 1999. As a filmmaker, Morgan developed and produced the film Natural Selection. The film has been on Showtime, the Sci-fi channel and was released internationally. In 2005, Morgan co-produced the feature documentary Antones: Home of the Blues, which has been released internationally as well. Most recently, Morgan produced a documentary for the Austin Independent School District 125th anniversary. Morgan serves on the Board of Directors for a number of organizations, including Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau, International Film Festival Summit and The Wittliff Collection.
This show is sponsored by Experiment 27. Get the sales and service agreement (free client contract template) Experiment 27 uses to close business HERE. [$1,000 value]
In this episode you’ll learn:
- [01:18] How did Barbara end up as an executive director at a film festival
- [05:20] How was AFF differentiated from all the other festivals
- [06:05] How to monetize a film festival
- [11:10] How was AFF funded in its first year
- [15:50] How is AFF sorting through the film submissions
- [22:13] AFF script selection process
If you’ve enjoyed the episode, please subscribe to The Alex Berman Podcast on iTunes and leave us a 5-star review.