17 Jul How Jonathan Allen Documented Hillary Clinton’s Doomed Presidential Campaign and Wrote a NYT Bestseller
Jonathan Allen is an award-winning journalist and New York Times-bestselling author. He is currently a national political correspondent for NBC News. A frequent guest on national television programs and public speaker, he has been the Washington bureau chief for Bloomberg News, the White House bureau chief for Politico and a congressional reporter for Politico, Congressional Quarterly and The Hill. Jonathan won the National Press Foundation’s Everett McKinley Dirksen award and the National Press Club’s Sandy Hume award for his reporting on Congress. In 2014, he published his first book with writing partner Amie Parnes, HRC: State Secrets and the Rebirth of Hillary Clinton. It spent four weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. In 2017 he published Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton’s Doomed Campaign, a book about Hillary Clinton’s unsuccessful 2016 presidential campaign. Shattered spent 8 weeks on the New York Times best seller list.
This show is sponsored by Experiment 27. Get the discovery call script & questions template HERE.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- [02:14] Why did Jonathan write a book about Hillary Clinton in 2014
- [03:10] Why did Hillary pick Nathan to write a book about her
- [06:09] Book writing process with a partner
- [08:40] About writing structures
- [09:30] How to build your career without having a vision
- [11:14] Being concerned about the future is not worth it
- [13:50] How to gain access to people you need to interview
- [16:00] What was Jonathan’s dream career
- [17:10] It’s important to master your subject material
- [18:24] Role self-awareness plays in your career
If you’ve enjoyed the episode, please subscribe to The Alex Berman Podcast on iTunes and leave us a 5-star review.