04 Sep How Netflix’s True-Crime Parody Got Renewed And Won a Peabody Award w/ Ari Lubet (American Vandal)
Ari Lubet is a literary manager and producer at 3 Arts Entertainment. After graduating from film school at the University of Wisconsin in 2007, Ari began his career in the film industry as an assistant to a literary agent at Creative Artists Agency and to Michael Sugar at Anonymous Content. Ari represents writers and directors in television and film, as well as novelists and comic book creators. He is currently producing the second season of the Netflix original series AMERICAN VANDAL which won a 2018 Peabody Award and received nominations for the 2017 Critics’ Choice Awards and WGA Awards.
Ari Lubet is an executive producer of American Vandal, an American television mockumentary series that premiered on Netflix in 2017. The series is a satire of true crime documentaries such as Making a Murderer and Serial. Netflix renewed the series for an eight-episode second season, which will premiere in 2018.
This show is sponsored by Experiment 27. Get the discovery call script & questions template HERE.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- [02:10] How did Ari become a producer on American Vandal
- [04:10] How did American Vandal came to be as a project
- [05:45] How often is Ari getting pitched
- [07:45] Put yourself in the shoes of the executive
- [09:00] When you know you know
- [09:55] How to package the deals together
- [11:30] How to fit a showrunner and a young creative
- [17:40] How 3 Arts facilitates connections
- [21:08] B2B sales in the movie business
- [22:03] About dropping projects
- [24:50] What is Ari looking for in young talent
If you’ve enjoyed the episode, please subscribe to The Alex Berman Podcast on iTunes and leave us a 5-star review.